Controversial technology still raises questions among scientists.
Reader’s question Lucas Lorijola, São José do Rio Preto, SP
Illustrates Denis Freitas
Edition Felipe van Deursen
1. When the smoker gives the first swallow, the electronic sensor detects the air movement and sends the message to the nebulizer
2. The nebulizer warms nicotine droplets, which quickly turn into steam to be swallowed. Some Types of Electronic Cigarette Generate More Smoke
3. The LED light is triggered instantly. On some models it is necessary to push a button to swallow and start the whole operation
4. The smoke does not smell, because the cigarette does not burn tobacco and has water in the composition. In addition, it dissipates more quickly in the air
5. The cartridge may have nicotine and flavorings. Some are disposable, others can be refilled with fluid
Controversial technology is prohibited in Brazil
The electronic cigarette was invented by the Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik in 2003. The idea was to help smokers drop conventional cigarettes gradually. But there is no scientific evidence that it helps – even if it is less harmful to health. Experts fear it is up to a gateway for nonsmokers, as it produces smoke without odor and can sometimes have aromatic tastes. Therefore, electronic cigarettes are prohibited in ten countries, including Brazil.